Thursday, December 07, 2006

Appreciate


They say you don't know what you've lost til it gone, why wait to find out?







APPRECIATE

By Faseeh Biabani

.. I've been given the greatest gift
Every time I'm down, gives me a lift
Keeps me intact when I begin to drift..

I've got vision and I've got sight
I've got strength and I've got might
Envisioning goals of myself in college
Provisioning holes with endless knowledge
To witness both the sunrise and the sunset
Is a blessing which we always forget
Next to me, you find yourself a spot
Orange and yellow, tiny as a dot
The sun begins to vanish as the moon begins to show
Navy blue above, and the stars begin to glow
"What does it look like?" you desperately demand..
..How do I explain the sunset, to a blind man?

I've got feet to walk with
I've got a mouth to talk with
Run to have my message heard
Craft out my way with words
Call the Adhan before every prayer
Forget my worries and all my cares
"You there! hang on a moment, can you bring him a chair?
Hes got no legs, so please don't stare..
Just like you, he's here to pray."
I make a spot for him right away
Thumbs to our lobes
In our pearly white thawbs
Just in time, he somehow made it
To begin I shout, "God is the Greatest.."

I've got fame and wealth
I've got love and health
The people who know me
Are the same who show me
That money won't buy me love
It won't pay my respect
It can't cash my friends
What more can it inject
Than selfishness and greed
Distance me from what I need
But what about those who lack the green
Would you call them poor?
Even when they're rich on deen?

I have it all..
I've got family
and I've got friends
Endless power?
Or, empowering end?
Orphans cry in solitude
No mother there to give them food
No father to mooch for money
No siblings to laugh at something funny
Some with no friends to whisper secrets
No gifts to receive and none to get..
So why do I find
My constant whines
Echo down the hall
When truth be told..
I have it all?

No comments: